The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for the Controller opportunity, you will have:
- At least 10 years of management experience, including at least 5 years and a track record of success as a Controller
- A bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance; an MBA or equivalent preferred
- CPA designation; active status strongly preferred
- Proven leadership skills, including the ability to motivate and influence others to perform at a high level
- Outstanding collaboration, coaching and development skills
- Experience utilizing intermediate to advanced financial system skills in MS Office (specifically, Excel and PowerPoint), and Accounting ERP systems such as Intaact and ADP Pay
- Self-motivation and professional confidence; pride in independently doing a great job
- A proactive, process improvement mindset
- Strong organization skills with strict attention to detail
The RoleOpportunity Overview
Reporting to the COO, located at our corporate headquarters in Burbank, California, you will be responsible for the leadership and control of a team of professionals, as well as for our general accounting functions, financial statements, management accounting, and report preparation. In addition, you will assume general management oversight for the San Antonio office, including facilities and supporting processes.
Daily, you will manage the Accounting team which is responsible for the general ledger, accounts payable, payroll and financial analysis functions. The team includes an Assistant Controller, managing the day-to-day demands; a Financial Analyst, responsible for the budget and forecasting; a Payroll Manager and AP Specialist. It's a lean but talented and coachable team that we expect will develop well with strong leadership. There is no Accounts Receivable function as customer transactions are done through merchant processing.
You will be accountable for:
- Issuing timely and accurate financial reports consistent with U.S. GAAP, including financial statements, management reports, budgets, and forecasts
- Ensuring accurate and timely payment of financial obligations to vendors, employees, and contractors
- Ensuring accurate and timely tax and other compliance-related filings
- Monitoring investment and cash balances across companies to cover operating needs, limiting exposure to fraud and loss while optimizing return on excess funds
- Owning the annual audit process in conjunction with outside auditors
- Selecting, developing and mentoring a strong, productive accounting and finance team
- Acting as the primary accounting and tax expert and leader, overseeing all accounting policies and procedures
- Leading accounting process improvements and change initiatives, streamlining processes, developing department metrics and creating operating efficiencies
- Leveraging knowledge and experience to influence fellow functional leaders throughout the company on key financial and operational decisions
- Ensuring the San Antonio office functions consistent with our corporate culture, offering a welcoming and productive environment for employees to perform at their best
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Pictured: Our Psychic Encounters app offers a new video call feature. Lots of features plus a two-way business model (we have apps that support both users and advisors) means there is a steady stream of data to mine.
More Good ReasonsLife balance
We work hard and there's plenty to do, but unlike other roles at this level, the demands are not unreasonable. Naturally, there are times when you'll need to flex your hours to meet demands, but for the most part, you'll work Monday through Friday business hours.
From low hanging fruit to complex improvements that can scale with our aggressive growth plans, there are plenty of areas where you can leverage your knowledge and strategic insight to improve and streamline operations. Developing your team, creating scalable processes and proactively meeting demands will be key.
In San Antonio, the office culture is strong. We often share meals and activities, and it's not uncommon for team members to get together outside of work.
People are at the heart of who we are and what we do. We are a culture that celebrates individuality, innovation and excellence among our employees. People here enjoy what they do and the people they work with. We work very hard at fostering a culture of teamwork, respect, accountability, and -- most important -- fun! These are just some of the reasons we have a high number of long-tenured employees across our organization.
In addition to a competitive salary and discretionary bonus, we offer comprehensive benefits, including shared-cost medical, dental and vision plans; fully paid life, long-term disability and employee assistance programs; a 401(k) plan with safe harbor match; flexible spending accounts and more.
Pictured: Our commitment to being a positive force in people's lives extends to employees as well as customers and partners. You'll join a team that is upbeat and motivated.
Keys to SuccessUpon joining us, you'll learn the systems we have in place and assess how they're working before you consider changes. It will be important to understand where we are coming from and where we are going to in order to support the team and operations. While there will be a learning curve, we expect by the end of year one, the team will be filled out and performing well, core processes will be in place, and there will be a stable office environment with a high-performance team.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Controller, you will:
- Encourage professional development and build capabilities on your team
- Be passionate about and take pride in your work
- Lead with humility and a service mindset
- Be passionate about problem-solving and proactively finding opportunities to improve
- Be driven by strong core values, including integrity, collaboration, a no-limits mindset, objectivity, and a customer focus
Note: At Outlook Amusements, our purpose is to help our customers find peace of mind and guidance through connections with top quality advisors and content. We do this through a combination of sophisticated web platforms, mobile applications and stellar customer service. At the same time, we know psychic advice is not for everybody. You don't have to be a devotee, but if you are inclined to roll your eyes at the idea, this role probably isn't a good fit for you.