Your BackgroundTo be a good fit for the Senior Manager, Data Management opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, economics, engineering, or business, or an equivalent combination of education and directly related experience; an advanced degree is a plus
- 5+ years of experience leading a data management or data analytics function, or in a related technical consulting role
- 1+ year of experience managing teams, ideally including hiring and teambuilding
- Established strong understanding of data analytics tools (for example: Tableau, Hadoop, PowerBI), and attribution tools such as Google Analytics
- Business savvy and an understanding of how data analytics supports company goals
- Solid project management skills
- E-commerce environments and digital disciplines including social media, SEO, SEM, digital video, banner advertising, CRM, and affiliate marketing
- Managing a cloud-based big data solution
- Building a cloud-based big data solution, ideally including architect responsibilities
- Consulting on or leading the creation of a data-portal, enabling end-user access to data
- Acquiring a deep understanding of the organizations’ data sources and algorithms, and spreading this knowledge throughout your organization to build deeper data acumen
- Facilitating and enabling groups to fine-tune their data needs and decisions by asking questions
- Working with offshore teams, ideally including managing them
- Passion for your work
- An analytical mindset plus a people-oriented approach
- A highly collaborative style and the ability to build consensus
- The ability to effectively engage, lead and influence senior executives
- Solid problem-solving skills
- Curiosity, motivation to learn and willingness to share what you learn
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities with strong story-telling skills
Your ImpactReporting to the Director, Software Engineering, you will join an IT team of about 50 that includes resources in programming, quality assurance, project management, architecture, administration, networking and more. About half the team is offshore.
Sitting at the intersection of technology, product management and data analytics, you will be dedicated to identifying , managing, and disseminating high-integrity data and actionable insights that will drive business decision-making. Key objectives will be to:
- Champion, build and evolve data-centric practices
- Provide stewardship of data governance framework, standards, and policies
- Establish and own data reporting tools and platforms
- Execute on data requirements
More specifically, you will:
- Guide collaborative decision-making about data relevancy and requirements, and oversee and maintain data hygiene and effectiveness
- Advise, strategize, and inform on data implications and requirements for projects (product, technical and operational)
- Establish and oversee data analytics tools and their adoption/usage to build data capabilities across the organization
- Manage data products; prioritize and ensure timely delivery to stakeholders
- Provide a strong voice on behalf of data integrity and usability, in alignment with data strategy, to maximize value to organization
- Implement practices and standards to ensure data integrity, quality, definitions, and consistency across all platforms, sources, and users
- Ensure that new data is fully integrated and/or accessible to end-users; define and document needs analysts
More Good ReasonsOwn the impact
It would be hard to overestimate the potential impact this initiative can have on our company, in terms of both external operations and internal processes. That will put you in the spotlight, but if you're the person we're looking for, that's where you want to be. In effect, the data analytics initiative will be your baby to nurture and raise.
This is a multifaceted role that will keep you engaged as you influence architecture, standards, tools, requirements and more. In addition, we use advanced attribution and work with data from both sides of our double-sided marketplace. We also obtain data from different vendors and aggregate it.
You'll expand both your technical knowledge and your leadership skills in this position. For example, initially you may provide direction to a Database Developer/Administrator. Looking forward, the team may grow.
We create a rewarding work environment that promotes a healthy and balanced lifestyle. A few of the amenities in the office:
- A healthy kitchen. Free yoga classes twice a week.
- Subsidized membership to an onsite gym.
- Meditation room.
- LEED Gold certified environmentally certified building.
People are at the heart of who we are and what we do. We are a culture that celebrates individuality, innovation and excellence among our employees. People here enjoy what they do and the people they work with. We work very hard at fostering a culture of teamwork, respect, accountability, and -- most important -- fun! These are just some of the reasons we have a high number of long-tenured employees.
In addition to a competitive salary and discretionary bonus, we offer comprehensive benefits, including shared-cost medical, dental and vision plans; fully paid life, long-term disability and employee assistance programs; a 401(k) plan with safe harbor match; flexible spending accounts and more.
Pictured: Our commitment to being a positive force in people's lives extends to employees as well as customers and partners. You'll join a team that is upbeat and motivated.
Keys to SuccessInterpersonal and leadership skills will be just as important as technical expertise in this position. You'll interact with a wide variety of people -- in fact, you can expect to get lots of input. You should be proactive about engaging stakeholders and creating enthusiasm. You'll find our team very open to the changes involved in the initiative, but we all know that change can be challenging. You'll need to help people recognize how new tools and processes will help them achieve their goals.
As a smaller organization, we value a strong sense of ownership and accountability. Everyone wears multiple hats and is willing to jump in and help beyond their job description. We also value professional courage and willingness to take calculated risks; as our CEO puts it, it's better to "fail fast and fall forward" than to never try.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Senior Manager, Data Management, you will be:
- Highly discerning and extremely curious
- Agile strategically and tactically, willing and able to roll up your sleeves to build and then evolve
- Able to lead with humility and a service mindset
- Passionate about problem-solving and proactively finding opportunities to improve
- Driven by strong core values, including integrity, collaboration, a no-limits mindset, objectivity, and a customer focus